Preliminary Design of Multi‐Purpose Waste Management Ship for Indonesian Waters

Rizky, Irvana and Abdul, Rochim and Arif, Fadillah (2022) Preliminary Design of Multi‐Purpose Waste Management Ship for Indonesian Waters. OTEC, 26. pp. 111-123. ISSN 0916-2429

[img] Text

Download (2MB)
Official URL:


The increasing number of people and their activities have an impact on the marine environment. The sea becomes vulnerable to the threat of pollution originating from human activities, such as waste, either industrial or household waste, oil spills, or bad behavior in disposing of waste. Currently, the world is faced with the problem of plastic waste pollution in the sea. Indonesia is one of the largest plastic waste contributor countries in the world after China. 80 percent of the plastic waste enters through the river and the remaining 20 percent is due to the behavior of throwing garbage directly into the sea. If there is no serious handling, marine pollution will increasingly have an impact on the economic and tourism sectors, disrupting the life of marine biota, ecosystems, and human health. As an archipelagic country, Indonesia requires extraordinary efforts to monitor the ocean territory. One of the most important things is to keep the waters free from litter. Of course, this ideal condition is difficult to achieve because of the large amount of water activity, both on the high seas and the ports. As many as 400 million tons of plastic are produced worldwide annually for various purposes, including as a wrapping material because it is lightweight and functional. This was quoted from a report by the World Economic Forum entitled White Paper on Plastics Circular Economy and Global Trade published in July 2020. Unfortunately, most of the plastic ends up as waste and has the potential to damage the environment, including in waters. The total waste entering the sea in 2020 is estimated to reach 521,540 tons, of which around 12,785 tons came from activities in the Indonesian sea. This number has taken into account waste leakage data from activities at sea which is calculated through the approach to the number of trips for passenger ships and fishing boats. One of the important factors in controlling marine debris is activities at the port. Not only from land activities but activities from passing ships also contribute to the problem of marine pollution and even oil spills from the ship. From the problems above, a ship is needed that can reduce solid or liquid waste. Therefore, the author plans to design a multipurpose waste management ship that can solve them. The hull of the garbage ship is made using a catamaran hull because apart from being more efficient in terms of resistance and stability, the ship's deck will also have a wider width than a monohull hull so that it can load more equipment.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Catamaran Ship, Garbage Ship, Multi-Purpose Ship, Waste Ship, Waste Management Ship
Subjects: 300 Social Science/Ilmu Sosial > 387.2 Ships/Transportasi Kapal
500 Natural Science/Ilmu Pengetahuan Alam > 531.6 Energy/Energi
300 Social Science/Ilmu Sosial > 363.73 Pollution/Masalah Pencemaran Lingkungan
Divisions: Fakultas Teknologi Kelautan > Teknik Perkapalan
Depositing User: Rizky Irvana
Date Deposited: 21 Oct 2022 06:27
Last Modified: 21 Oct 2022 06:27

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item